A plant room is a room or space in a building dedicated to the mechanical equipment and its associated electrical equipment, as opposed to rooms intended for human occupancy or storage.
Plant rooms typically house the following equipment:
- Air handlers
- Heat exchangers
- Water heaters and tanks
- Water pumps (for domestic, heating/cooling, and firefighting water)
- Main distribution piping and valves
- Sprinkler distribution piping and pumps
- Back-up electrical generators
- Elevator machinery
- Other HVAC (heating, ventilation and air-conditioning) equipment
Equipment in plant rooms is monitered by the BMCS (Building Management and Control System) and administered by staff from Property.
[ Expand all ]
- Ensure ease of access for maintenance and/or replacement of equipment is addressed in locating new plant rooms.|
- Consider future expansion possibilities when locating and sizing plant rooms.
|Room and Spaces Planning Requirements||
- Allow 800mm minimum circulation width through plant room space - 1m preferred.|
- Consider equipment and parts replacement when planning circulation zones.
|Other||- Allow for a minimum of 20% additional space on boards and in cabinets for equipment expansion.|
- To suit overall building fabric.|
- Consider ventilation requirements to plant rooms.
- Provide appropriate protection for plant equipment.|
- Provide appropriate amenity for service technicians.
|Materials & finishes||- Louvred facades are generally acceptable.|
- Required where plant room is exposed and equipment is not recommended for external placement.|
- Light weight roof to designer's specification.
- Louvred or naturally ventilated facade preferred.|
- Screening devices to be used where plant is externally located and in public view.
|Impact Resistance||- Ensure walls are durable enough to withstand minor impacts with tools and equipment.|
|Fire Rating||- To suit overall building design.|
|Wall Finish||- Unfinished walls are acceptable.|
- Painted finish preferred.
|General Selection Requirements||- Floors are to be low maintenance finish and comply with slip resistance standards.|
|Preferred Material Selection||
- Painted and/or sealed concrete preferred |
- Preferred colour: Taubmans Stone Age
|Concrete||- Painted or sealed concrete finish.|
|Entry Floor Mats||-|
|Resilient Floor Finishes||- Floor to be spill resistant.|
|Ceiling Finishes||- Unfinished concrete acceptable|
|Ceiling Heights||- To suit equipment.|
|Non Combustible / Fire Rated||- Non combustible ceiling linings are required|
|Window Selection Requirements||- Louvred or ventilated facades are preferred.|
|Glazing||- Glazing not required.|
|Visual Privacy||- Equipment to be concealed from public view.|
|Doors Type||- Louvre doors where external|
|Door Function||- Lockable - swipe access preferred.|
|Fire / Acoustic Rated||- Fire rated / acoustic doors as required.|
- Fire rated door if required to BCA requirements
|Frame Type||- Steel or aluminium framed|
|Door Hardware||Lock type|
Keying / locking
|General Design Principles||- Maintain 2100mm above FFL below elevated plant equipment.|
|Macquarie University Signage and Wayfinding||-|
|Door Signage||- Number Sequential within block|
- Title on entry door "PLANT ROOM"
|Security type / group||- Maintenance access only.|
|CCTV||- Not required by default|
|Access control||- Swipe access preferred|
|Intruder detection||-Not required|
|Keying||- Refer to Doors|
|Noise level||- Acoustic attenuation required when in proximity to teaching or office spaces.|
|Noise emittance||- Consider noise emittance when plant room is adjacent or near to a teaching or office spaces.|
|Room to room||- Minimise sound transmission to adjoining spaces.|
|Natural ventilation||- Preferred. Plant rooms require constant ventilation.|
|Supply air||- Natural/passive preferred.|
|Exhaust||- Required in plant rooms where equipment generates heat.|
|Controls||- Localised and via BMS.|
|Mechanical cooling||- Unconditioned space.|
|Mechanical heating||- Unconditioned space.|
|Potable cold water||- Hose connection required for cleaners and technicians.|
|Potable hot / warm water||- Not required.|
- Floor waste required.|
- Drain to taps for hose connection.
|Fire detection||- To designer's specification|
|Fire suppression||- Not required|
|EWIS||- Not required|
|Portable fire equipment||-To designer's specification|
|Lighting / lux levels||- Min 150 lux required|
- Switch on wall near entry door|
- Auto-off after 1 hour
- Manual override
|Type||- DGPO required for cleaning and maintenance staff|
- Min of 1 x DGPO per plant room.|
- Larger plant rooms may require additional DGPO's
|Other||- Power to plant equipment to designer's specification.|
Communication / AV
|Voice||- Not required|
- Min 2 data ports required per plant room.|
- 1 port for equipment monitoring
- 1 port for test point.
|As Built Documentation||-|