Wet Lab Prep
The Wet Lab Preparation room is a supplementary support space to the
Fixtures, tables, workbenches and cupboards are provided for the preparation of experiments and the storage, cleaning, and preparation of materials, apparatus and equipment.
The Wet Preparation room should have access to and from the adjacent Laboratory(/ies).
Prep rooms are noted to be busy between booked class periods with frequent travel between the prep room and adjoining lab/s during this time to set up the lab for the next session. During class times prep rooms remain closed and off limits to students.
Prep rooms are often also heavily utilised before and after teaching hours to prepare and clean up from the day's teaching activities.
[ Expand all ]
Location of existing services to be considered.|
- Shared lab services such as RO water and gas connections to be considered.
|Room and Spaces Planning Requirements||- Room proportion to suit layout of furniture.|
- Room size to be suitable to the size of the lab spaces served.
- Access to adjacent store room/s.
|Design occupancy||- To suit user requirements.|
- Lab technicians and lab managers should be consulted during design phase.
|Impact Resistance||- Standard Plasterboard Wall finish (painted Shoji White)|
- Impact resistant plaster board where required.
- Fabric pinboard finish from 900mm to 2100mm where requested.
|Other||- Splashback behind basin to 1200mm|
- Splashback above benches 450mm high (except where window are located)
|General Selection Requirements||- Floor finish to be suitable for wet areas.|
|Preferred Material Selection|
- Altroflor Industrial sheet flooring (preferred), colour: fog
- Marmoleum (Anti-Static)
|Other||- Flooring turned up 150mm high as coved skirting|
|Ceiling Finishes||- Non combustible ceiling linings are required.|
|Ceiling Heights||- Min. 2400mm above FFL.|
- Grid ceiling preferred.
- Grid ceilings under plant equipment
|Acoustic Ceilings||- Gridded acoustic tile ceiling Ecophon Acoustic in white, or similar.|
|Non Combustible / Fire Rate||- Non combustible ceiling linings are required|
|Window Selection Requirements||- External Windows not required for this space.|
|Observation Windows||- Observation window to adjoining lab spaces where possible.|
- Observation window height to be between 900mm and 2100mm.
|Visual Privacy||- Frosting as required.|
|Window Furniture||- Blinds to external glazing - brown out capability.|
|Doors Type||- External door solid core.|
- Door to adjoining lab to be min. 1.5 leaf solid core with vision panel, with min. 900mm clear opening.
- Internal half glazed doors to other adjacent areas.
|Door Function||- Door to adjoining lab/s to be auto opening with Cardex Swipe to outside and leaver exit handle internal (Karba/boyd locking)|
- Automatic cavity slider doors may be suitable between prep spaces and teaching labs.
- Other internal doors - open push button optional.
|Glazing||- Glazed panels to teaching labs, 125mm wide by 600mm high with sill at 1200mm.|
|Door Hardware||Lock type|
- Electric strike lock
Keying / locking
- Cardax External swipe.
- Master keyed - Research lab spaces
|General Design Principles||- Provision space for wet activities thoughout.|
- Provision space for use and storage of chemicals.
|Amenities for Mobility Impaired Persons||- To be determined through design process and risk analysis for building/floor/lab.|
|Lab Fixtures||- Stainless Steel Lab sinks as required.|
|Safety Fixtures||- Caroma hand wash basin with Enware taps adjacent to entry door.|
|General Design Principles||
- Provision space for wet activities thoughout.|
- Provision for use and storage of chemicals.
|Recommended Furniture Selection||- Storage - System 7 underbench stage (Wedgewood powdercoat)|
|Desk & Chair Selection||- KPD lab bench- Chemform top|
- Seating - to project specification if required.
|General||- HWB only - Caroma + Enware tapware & Bottle trap|
- Storage - System 7 underbench stage (Wedgewood Powdercoat)
- Other joinery storage items as required.
|Pinboards||- Fabric pinboard finish from 900mm to 2100mm if/where required by users.|
|AV infrastructure||- Not required.|
|Blinds||- To external windows where required - brown out capability.|
|General||"EYE PROTECTION REQUIRED" plus symbol, at both ends of Laboratory.|
"ENCLOSED FOOTWEAR REQUIRED" plus symbol, at both ends of Laboratory.
"EMERGENCY STOP", above emergency stop near door.
|Door Signage||Number Sequential within block Ie. "PREPARATION"|
|Macquarie University Signage and Wayfinding||-|
|Security type / group||- Restricted access. Lab tech and staff only.|
|CCTV||- Not required.|
|Access control||- Swipe access required.|
|Intruder detection||- Not required.|
|Keying||- Refer to Doors|
|Noise level||- Noise Level Within space should be considered|
|Noise emittance||- Limited internal noise emittance|
|Room to room||- Room to room acoustics should be reduced|
|Room acoustics||- Room reverberation time to be considered|
|Natural ventilation||- Natural ventilation as redundancy for mechanical - minimum 7% of floor area.|
To suit overall building system.|
- Positive/negative pressure requirements to be considered during design process.
|Exhaust||- Provide local exhaust when soldering undertaken.|
- Exhaust required for fume cupboards.
|Controls||- Controlled via BMS.|
|Other||- Additional exhaust as required for specific equipment items.|
|Mechanical cooling||- Air conditioned - use swell diffusers|
|Mechanical heating||- Provide heating to MQ standard|
- Humidity and min/max temperatures to be addressed in design phase.
- Localised temperature set points in room.|
- Humidity set points in room where required by lab function.
- All other conditioning controls via BMS.
|Other||Humidity - less than 60%|
minimum value - project specific
|Potable cold water||- Required to 1 x hand basin, sinks, safety showers, and eye wash.|
|Potable hot / warm water||- Warm water to HWB and sinks.|
|Non-potable water||- As required for users.|
- RO and/or Milli-Q as required by users/faculty.|
- Purified and/or Deionoised water as required by users/faculty.
- All outlets to be labelled accordingly.
- All labs where chemicals are used require a safety shower and eye wash, supplied by potable cold water.
|Sanitary drainage||- Connection to HWB. Include bottle trap|
- Connection to lab sinks throughout.
- Eye wash to drain to plumbed waste line.
- Safety shower is not to be plumbed to waste line.
|Trade waste||- All drainage pipework to be HDPE.|
- No floor waste to be installed in to Wet or Damp labs.|
- When dry ice is to be used sinks must be stainless steel.
|General||- Typically not required in prep spaces. Project specific item.|
the following service points to workbenches and confirm requirements with Faculty and user groups:|
Natural gas, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Hydrogen, Helium, Vacuum, Medium pressure compressed air, and/or High pressure compressed air.
|Other||- Emergency stop button required where gases are installed.|
- Consider gas detection and emergency stop facilities.
- C02 monitors if required by faculty or user group.
|Fire detection||- Smoke detection|
|Fire suppression||- Fire hose reel to code.|
|EWIS||- EWIS to prep spaces|
|Portable fire equipment||- Portable fire extinguisher / blanket located adjacent to entry door|
|Lighting / lux levels||- 240 lux.|
|Lighting controls||- C-Bus Programable switching to all labs.|
|Other||- Recessed/flush mounted sealed LED light fittings.|
|Natural Lighting||Daylight||- Natural daylight to room is desirable.|
|Brownout||- Brownout of room is required.|
|Light - Other||- Anti glare blinds to external windows.|
|Type||- GPO Points to suit occupancy. Min. 10A cuicuit |
- IP rated GPO's near wet areas.
- Dedicated cleaners circuit
- Dedicated circuit to fridge/freezers.
- Max 10 outlets per circuit.
- Laptop charging provisions
|Quantity||- To be determined through detailed design process.|
|Other||- Include Emergency stop button to turn off power & gas, except for fridges/freezers.|
Communication / AV
|Voice||- Phone required at entry doorway, 1050mm above FFL, with 150mm clearance around.|
- Use MQ IT standard Avaya handset.
|Data||- Data points as required by users and equipment.|
|WAP||- Wireless access point throughout.|
|As Built Documentation||-|