Seminar rooms are used for staff training and staff information delivery. Seminar rooms are sometimes also used as 'rooms for hire' to suitable third parties and will typically need appropriate fixtures and access to amenities. The space may also be used as a general student teaching space.
For smaller meeting spaces, refer to Meeting rooms.
This space is to be located adjacent to or near office / administration areas, and will ideally also have proximity to reception and lobby areas. A pre-seminar crush space should be considered depending on the size of the room. Seminar rooms may also be clustered with other smaller meeting spaces.
[ Expand all ]
- Consider location for seminar rooms. Ideally locate near a reception and lobby area, with proximity to amenities.|
- Seminar rooms can potentially be clustered with other meeting spaces.
|Room and Spaces Planning Requirements||- Room proportion to suit layout of furniture and desired occupancy.|
|Design occupancy||- Design occupancy minimum 20 persons. |
- Preferred 50 persons plus.
|Area||Area to suit building occupants, allow approx:|
- 0.8m2 per staff member
- 40 m2 for 20
- 100 m2 for 50
|Other||One space a maximum of 80m from any workpoint.|
|Design principles||- Provide layout and functionality suitable to room size, according to anticipated number of users.|
|Materials & finishes||- Material selection to be explored through the design and briefing process.|
|Wall Finish||- Finish colour/s to suit design spec and/or adjoining spaces.|
|Other||- Pinboard Finish to 2100mm high min - typically to rear of room.|
- White boards as required - 1200H, from 900mm above FFL.
|General Selection Requirements||- Provide for high traffic, low maintenance.|
|Preferred Material Selection||- Carpet tiles - 500mm x 500mm|
|Carpet||- Carpet finish to suit adjoining spaces.|
|Other||- Ducted Skirting to perimeter|
|Ceiling Selection||- Painted set plasterboard ceiling, or tiled grid system.|
|Ceiling Heights||- Nominal min. 2700mm floor to ceiling height.|
|Ceiling Finish||- White finish to suit room/building design|
|Acoustic Ceilings||Gridded acoustic tile ceiling Ecophon Acoustic in White |
NRC: 0.6 - 0.8 Absorptive Ceiling
|Window Selection Requirements||- External Windows are desireable.|
- Maximise external glazing with sill height 1.2m.
|Glazing||- Internal glazing to be frosted or screened.|
|Observation Windows||- Maximise windows to adjacent corridor.|
- Frosting between 600mm and 1600mm above FFL, or|
- Curtain screening to internal spaces.
|Doors Type||- Glazed entry door and sidelight|
- Sliding or swing doors are acceptable.
|Door Function||- Not Lockable when room is behind another security point.|
|Fire / Acoustic Rated||- As per building design spec.|
|Frame Type||- As per building design spec.|
|Glazing||- Glazed sidelight to door and/or fully glazed door.|
|Door Hardware||Lock type|
Keying / locking
Swipe Card Access - Tutorial
Master keyed - Tutorial
|General Design Principles||- Furniture selection to to suit room shape and size.|
- Quantity of meeting chairs to suit table.
|Recommended Table Selection||- Table selection to to suit room shape and size.|
|Recommended Chair Selection||- Chair suitable for up to 4 hours use.|
|Door Entry Mats||-|
- 1200mm high, fixed 900mm above FFL.|
- Width to suit wall dimensions.
- Pen trays to suit.
|Pinboards||- Pinboard Finish to 2100mm high min.|
|Projection Screens||- To suit room size and proportion. |
- Consult with AVTS.
|Kitchen & Tea Room Equipment||
- Larger seminar rooms may have an end table or credenza suitable for catering delivery and serving.|
- Wet areas and kitchen facilities are not required within the room.
- To AVTS spec|
- Lectern model selection pending room size
- Refer to Communications/AV component specs for details
|Blinds||- Blinds to external windows where required.|
|Curtains||- Where required.|
|Macquarie University Signage and Wayfinding||Room number Sequential within building. eg 75T 604|
|Door Signage||Door signage required - Room number, and titled as 'SEMINAR ROOM'|
|Security type / group||A|
|CCTV||- To adjoining publicly accessible areas|
|Access control||- Swipe access or key lock.|
|Intruder detection||- Not required|
|Keying||- Refer to Doors|
|Noise level||- Noise Level Within space should be considered|
|Noise emittance||- Medium Internal Noise Level|
|Room to room||- Room to room noise transmission should be reduced|
- Acoustic treatment within walls and ceiling spaces to be incorporated where required.
- Room reverberation time to be considered.
- Recommended mid frequency reverberation time of 0.6-0.8 seconds.
|Natural ventilation||- Natural ventilation as redundancy for mechanical.|
- Natural ventilation not desirable.
- Manually openable windows permissable.
|Supply air||- AS 1668 Supply Rate.|
|Controls||- Controls to be localised to room.|
|Mechanical cooling||- Air Conditioning|
|Mechanical heating||- Provide Heating to MQ Mechanical Standard|
|Controls||- Commensurate with building system|
- Reed Switch To Openable Windows / Louvres
|Fire detection||- Fire detection / alarms to comply with NCC.|
|Fire suppression||- Fire hose reel to code requirements|
|EWIS||- To code requirements|
|Portable fire equipment||- Portable fire extinguisher / blanket to code requirement|
|Lighting / lux levels||- 240 lux|
|Lighting controls||- Auto Off after 20 minutes|
- Switchable zones to suit AV
- Dimming Capability
- Movement Sensor
- Manual Override
|Other||- Provide appropriate lighting over table/s|
|Natural Lighting - Daylight||- Natural daylight to room is desirable|
|Type||- GPO Points to suit equipment.|
- Standard power required - Refer to Electrical Design Standard
|Quantity||- Pending size of room|
- Min of 2 GPOs per table box (where provided)
|Other||- Power on ducted skirting cable management to be considered.|
- Floor Box to tables to be served from below.
Communication / AV
|Voice||- 1 Phone required per seminar room.|
- 1 double data point required
- Voice / Data Provision Required
- Conference call capability required to handsets and/or AV.
|Data||- Data required for LCD, projector, and to table boxes.|
|AV type||AV to AVTS Spec, Typically Lectern type LAD - Including Lectern, AV Display|
|WAP||Wireless Access to entire floor required|
|Other||Meeting room AV guides are outlined on the AVTS Digital Lecterns Guide site.|
|As Built Documentation||-|