Active Learning Spaces
Active Learning Spaces are designed as a flexible, multi purpose educational space for:
- education content delivery,
- interactive learning activities,
- interactive discussion, and
- active learning.
Active Learning Spaces will typically be based on a flat floor principle with flexible furniture arrangements, and will often have greater AV and IT capabilities than a typical Tutorial Room to augment content sharing capabilities.
This space is to be located adjacent to student / circulation zones and near to other student collaboration spaces. Space within should be open, and only be divisible to provide zones for smaller groups to collaborate. Any internal divisions should be moveable.
[ Expand all ]
|Site factors||Ideally locate near a student common space and/or a space that allows congregation before and after the room is in use.|
|Room and Spaces Planning Requirements||Square or rectangular - nominal maximum X:Y, 1:2|
|Design occupancy||20 - 100|
|Area||- Approx 2m2/person, depending on desired layout|
|Other||- Design for complete flexibility with furniture arrangement, device interaction, and subject delivery|
- Usage is typically transient for 1-4 hour periods
- High use space with various user groups.
|General||- Layout of loose furniture to provide appropriate access through room.|
|Design principles||- Design for frequent and transient occupancy.|
- Provide appropriate sight lines for installed AV and white boards.
- Provide appropriate floor to ceiling height to suit AV spec; nominal 3m.
|Materials & finishes||- Use hard wearing, durable finishes.|
Materials & Finishes
- Use hard wearing, low maintenance, low VOC paints.|
- Nominal base colours: Brilliant White, Napkin White
- Feature wall colours to be determined through design process.
|Impact Resistance||Impact resistant walls are recommended|
|Wall Finish||Pinboard finish from floor to 2100mm to front and rear wall. |
Pinboard not required below windows with sills less than 1800mm above floor.
|Skirtings||All skirtings to be metal or aluminium with black finish.|
|General Selection Requirements||- Provide for high traffic, low maintenance.|
|Preferred Material Selection||- Carpet tiles - 500mm x 500mm|
|Carpet||- Carpet finish to designer's specification.|
- Alternative colours may be used to enhance vibrancy of space.
|Ceiling||- Painted set plasterboard ceiling, or tiled grid system.|
|Ceiling Heights||- Nominal min. 3m floor to ceiling height.|
|Ceiling Selection||- Finish to suit room/building design|
|Acoustic Ceilings||- Acoustic ceiling tiles to be used where recommended by designer.|
|Window Selection Requirements||- Windows are required to provide natural light to these spaces.|
- Preferred sill height at 1200mm above FFL.
|Glazing||- External window glazing is to be integrally tinted for glare and heat transfer control to meet the regulatory requirements.|
|Other||- Windows should not be openable in air conditioned spaces.|
|Doors Type||- Half glass door, sidelight, or vision cutout to circulation.|
|Door Function||- Provide latch to allow door to hold open.|
|Fire / Acoustic Rated||- As per building design spec.|
|Frame Type||- As per building design spec.|
|Glazing||- Half glazed door or side light to circulation spaces|
|Door Hardware||Lock type|
Classroom lock with Cardex swipe security.
Keying / locking
Swipe Card Access - Tutorial
Master keyed - Tutorial
|Other||- Operable walls are not desirable but where required they are to be acoustically rated.|
|General Design Principles||
- Furniture selection to be determined through design process.|
- Furniture to be mobile and allow for flexible arrangements.
|Recommended Desk Selection||- Desk selection to be determined through design process.|
|Recommended Chair Selection||- Task chairs on castors required for active learning spaces.|
|Other||Lecterns - refer to AV component specs.|
|Whiteboards||- Whiteboards required throughout, to design spec.|
|Notice Boards||Not required.|
|Projection and LCD Screens||As per AV spec.|
|Lecterns||As per AV spec.|
- Window blinds for brown out or block out function.|
- Preferred product: Luxaflex manually operated roller blinds.
- Operation can be programmed in to lectern.
|General and Room numbering||Refer to Signage component specs and the Signage and Wayfinding guidelines.|
|Security type / group||A|
CCTV to have coverage in adjoining circulation spaces.|
CCTV not desirable in teaching spaces.
|Access control||Swipe card access to room via cardax system..|
|Keying||Refer to Doors|
|Other||Include Reed switches to doors and operable windows.|
|Noise level||Noise Level Within space should be considered|
|Noise emittance||Limited internal noise emittance|
|Room to room||- Room to Room acoustics should be minimised.|
- Provide acoustic door seals to break out spaces, and between adjoining teaching spaces.
- Acoustic treatment within walls and ceiling spaces to be incorporated where required.
|Room acoustics||- Room reverberation time to be considered.|
- Recommended mid frequency reverberation time of 0.6-0.8 seconds.
|Natural ventilation||- Not desirable.|
|Supply air||- As per building spec, to suit occupancy.|
|Controls||- Centrally controlled preferred.|
|Mechanical cooling||- Air Conditioning - refer to Mechanical Design Specification.|
|Mechanical heating||- Provide Heating - refer to Mechanical Design Specification.|
|Controls||- Centrally controlled preferred.|
|Fire detection||Fire detection / alarms to comply with NCC.|
|Fire suppression||- As Required for design of building|
|Portable fire equipment||- As Required for design of building.|
|Light fixtures||- LED based fittings to suit layout|
- Task lighting may be incorporated pending layout
|Lighting / lux levels||- 240 lux|
|Lighting controls||- Managed by BMS, refer to Design Guide|
- Isolate zones in relation to AV spec.
|Other||- Task lighting to lectern.|
|Natural Lighting||Daylight||- Natural daylight to room required|
|Brownout||- Brownout of room is required|
Communication / AV
|Voice||- Lecturn selection pending room size, (VGA input, Data Projector)|
|Data||- 2 double data points adjacent to white board.|
- 2 general data points in room.
- Other data ports as specified through design process
|AV type||- AV to AVTS and design specification|
|WAP||- Wireless Access point to all of room to MQ IT specification.|
|Other||- Data for Lectern,|
- Resident PC for Lectern
- Phone handset behind or near lectern.