Tutorial rooms are designed as a multi purpose educational space for:
- education content delivery,
- interactive learning activities,
- interactive discussion, and
- active learning.
Refer also to Educational Design Principles within these guidelines.
This space is to be located adjacent to student / circulation zones and near to other student collaboration spaces.
[ Expand all ]
|Site factors||Ideally locate near a student common space and/or a space that allows congregation before and after the room is in use.|
|Room and Spaces Planning Requirements||Square or maximum X:Y, 1:1.5|
|Design occupancy||20 - 100|
|Area||Approx 2m2/p, depending on desired layout|
|Other||- Design for flexibility with furniture arragenment|
- Usage is typically transient for 1-4 hour periods
- High use space with various user groups.
|General||Layout of loose furniture to provide appropriate access through room.|
|Design principles||- Design for frequent and transient occupancy.|
- Provide appropriate sight lines for installed AV and white boards.
- Provide appropriate floor to ceiling height to suit AV spec; nominal 3m.
|Materials & finishes||- Use hard wearing, durable finishes.|
- Install bump rails on side and rear walls.
Materials & Finishes
- Use hard wearing, low maintenance, low VOC paints.|
- Nominal base colours: Brilliant White, Napkin White
- Feature wall colours to be determined through design process.
|Impact Resistance||Impact resistant walls are recommended|
|Wall Finish||Pinboard finish from floor to 2100mm to front and rear wall. |
Pinboard not required below windows with sills less than 1800mm above floor.
|Skirtings||All skirtings to be metal or aluminium with black finish.|
|General Selection Requirements||Provide for high traffic, low maintenance.|
|Preferred Material Selection||
Carpet tiles - 600mm x 600mm|
|Carpet||Preferred carpet: Interface Equilibrium II - colour: Rotate.|
|Resilient Floor Finishes||CP - Carpet finish.|
|Ceiling||Painted set plasterboard ceiling, or tiled grid system.|
|Ceiling Heights||Nominal min. 3m floor to ceiling height.|
|Ceiling Selection||White finish to suit room/building design|
|Acoustic Ceilings||Acoustic ceiling tiles to be used where recommended by designer.|
|Window Selection Requirements||Windows are required to provide natural light to these spaces.|
Preferred sill height at 1200mm above FFL.
|Glazing||External window glazing is to be integrally tinted for glare and heat transfer control to meet the regulatory requirements.|
|Other||Windows should not be openable in air conditioned spaces.|
|Doors Type||Half glass door, sidelight, or vision cutout to circulation.|
|Door Function||Provide latch to allow door to hold open.|
|Fire / Acoustic Rated||As per building design spec.|
|Frame Type||As per building design spec.|
|Glazing||Half glazed door or side light to circulation spaces|
|Door Hardware||Lock type|
Classroom lock with Cardex swipe security.
Keying / locking
Swipe Card Access - Tutorial
Master keyed - Tutorial
|Other||Operable walls are not desirable but where required they are to be acoustically rated.|
|General Design Principles||
- 2 desks to be accessible - nominal 1 at front and 1 at rear of room.|
- Mobile furniture preferred in tutorial rooms.
|Recommended Desk Selection||
- Accessible desks: 1500x600 with accessible legs and height adjustable frame.|
- Standard desks: 750x600x720H loose desks.
- Charcoal powdercoat finish to base/frame/legs.
- Laminate top in 'Ocean Micro' colour with matched edges.
|Recommended Chair Selection||- Moulded polypropylene seat shells - black finish.|
- Chrom plated sled base.
|Other||Lecterns - refer to AV component specs.|
- Magnetic porcelain with satin silver edgeless frame.
- 1200mm high, fixed 900mm above FFL.
- Width to suit wall dimensions with evenly proportioned seamless joins.
- Pen trays to suit.
|Notice Boards||Not required.|
|Projection Screens||As per AV spec.|
|Lecterns||As per AV spec.|
|Bump rails||Fix along side and rear walls:|
- Brushed stainless steel finish or coloured to suit feature wall.
- Nominal 150mm high, fixed from 650mm above FFL
- Window blinds for brown out or block out function.|
- Preferred product: Luxaflex manually operated roller blinds.
- Operation can be programmed in to lectern.
|General and Room numbering||Refer to Signage component specs and the Signage and Wayfinding guidelines.|
|Security type / group||A|
CCTV to have coverage in adjoining circulation spaces.|
CCTV not desirable in teaching spaces.
|Access control||Swipe card access to room via cardax system..|
|Keying||Refer to Doors|
|Other||Include Reed switches to doors and operable windows.|
|Noise level||Noise Level Within space should be considered|
|Noise emittance||Limited internal noise emittance|
|Room to room||- Room to Room acoustics should be minimised.|
- Provide acoustic door seals to break out spaces, and between adjoining teaching spaces.
- Acoustic treatment within walls and ceiling spaces to be incorporated where required.
|Room acoustics||- Room reverberation time to be considered.|
- Recommended mid frequency reverberation time of 0.6-0.8 seconds.
|Natural ventilation||Not desirable.|
|Supply air||As per building spec, to suit occupancy.|
|Mechanical cooling||Air Conditioning|
|Mechanical heating||Provide Heating Refer to Mechanical Design Specification.|
|Fire detection||Fire detection / alarms to comply with NCC.|
|Fire suppression||- As Required for design of building|
|Portable fire equipment||- As Required for design of building.|
|Light fixtures||LED based fittings to suit layout|
|Lighting / lux levels||240 lux|
|Lighting controls||- Managed by BMS, refer to Design Guide|
- Isolate zones in relation to AV spec.
|Other||Task lighting to lectern.|
|Natural Lighting||Daylight||Natural daylight to room required|
|Brownout||Brownout of room is required|
Communication / AV
|Voice||Lecturn selection pending room size, (VGA input, Data Projector)|
|Data||2 double data points adjacent to white board.|
2 general data points in room.
|AV type||AV to AVTS Standard, Type L1D (Digital) - Including Lectern, AV Display & PA with hearing Loop,|
|WAP||Wireless Access point to all of room to MQ IT specification.|
|Other||- Data for Lectern,|
- Resident PC for Lectern
- Phone handset behind or near lectern.