Design Guideline Overview
These Guidelines have been prepared to assist facility planning consultants in the design and documentation of Macquarie University projects. They provide direction and guidance in regard to the University's requirements. The Guidelines will enable Consultants to more efficiently translate university requirements into acceptable design solutions.
These Guidelines provide consultants with design information based on hindsight and experience developed from delivering similar projects by:
- Outlining the general performance requirements of the various design elements to be considered in a facility
- Providing the minimum standards required of the components that make an element of design. In some situations the minimum standards will exceed the requirements of applicable regulatory standards.
The Guidelines are not intended to replace the level of initiative, competence and care expected of consultants in the performance of their duties. Consultants are encouraged to carefully consider the merits of these Design Guidelines in the context of the needs of individual
If a Consultant considers a guideline is not appropriate and that a more suitable solution is appropriate, proposals to this effect should be raised for consideration by the university. In the absence of express written approval for a deviation from these guidelines, the university will however assume that the requirements contained in these Design Guidelines have been fully addressed and incorporated in the proposed design solution and project
These guidelines must be viewed in conjunction with additional university documents that guide campus development and inform project design including:
- Macquarie University Campus Master Plan
- Statutory planning approvals
- Landscape design
- Workplace health and safety
- Risk management procedures
- Contractor safety management systems.
Additional general design and construction documents: